Isn’t It Ironic? *Update From Previous Post*

God’s timing is pretty ironic, isn’t it?

If you read my last post, I made it pretty clear that I tend to over-plan and over-think. Then, I made the connection that I do so because I am living out of fear. And if I can control what goes on around me and within my life I’ll avoid pain and rejection. So, I vowed not to over-plan and over-think anymore.

Well, that was surely put to the test.

Last week I received a call from my mother telling me my Uncle had passed away from cancer. I was devastated. We had to quickly book a flight home to NY, so that I could attend the calling hours and funeral this past Tuesday and Wednesday. While the occasion was sad, I was still happy to spend time with my family and celebrate his life.

Because of this unforeseen and saddening occasion, I had to miss quite a few days of work. Obviously, I didn’t plan for any of this to happen. But, I thought to myself, “Hey, there’s a bigger picture outside of myself and my trivial plans. Get over it.” And, I did.

Can I just stop here and point something out? Y’all have so much freaking snow I can’t even believe it. Yes, I know I grew up there, but holy cow I forgot it’s possible to snow so much. There’s a special place in heaven for you saints who decide to live your life in that place. I commend you.

Icicles    Street

Anyways, after a bittersweet trip home, Thursday came. I had to fly back to Charlotte, and once arriving in Charlotte I went straight into work. Not a big deal, right? Well, I realized I left my running shoes at home.

Okay, that’s a big deal. I’m training for a half marathon. I have a schedule I need to follow. I have long runs I need to run this weekend. I have cross training to do. What the heck am I going to do without my running shoes?

I’ll buy new ones after work, I told myself. No big deal.

Well, I realized once I got to gym after purchasing my new shoes that the pair I bought were too big. Ugh. Okay, I’ll return them tomorrow. Frustrating, but no big deal.

Friday came. I had my whole day planned out so that I could get everything done that I needed and get caught up from missing so much work earlier in the week.

Generally, when I wake up in the mornings I jump out of bed happy to start a new day. Mornings are my favorite.

But, Friday morning seemed a bit different. I felt a tad cynical and was still exhausted from the long week I’d had. Not like me whatsoever.

Anyways, I brushed it off and continued with my morning routine. Before I left for work, I went to take my vitamins, and for whatever reason I choked on them and couldn’t breathe. Both of my roommates were already gone. I freaked, but managed to get them down. Not that big of a deal, I know. But, scary nonetheless, and made me leave the house late.

Then, on my way into work I was mentally preparing for the day ahead, listening to some T-Swift, when a squirrel ran right under my tire. I screamed.

I got to work and pulled into the parking garage, but my parking pass didn’t work, so I couldn’t get in. Of course. Finally, a fellow coworker helped me.

What a crazy morning, I thought to myself.

Once I got into the building, I walked into the office ready to tackle the day only to find out that the construction workers had cut a wrong cord and our power/internet was out. I couldn’t get anything done for a solid two hours. This is not how I imagined this morning playing out.

In case you didn’t know, I’m a recruiter for a staffing company. I was working with a candidate who had landed a job and was supposed to start on Monday. After having him come in to do all of his paperwork in the morning, I got a call telling me he can no longer start the job. The funding was cut. The position was being put on hold.

Are you kidding me!?

The day dragged on, as I attempted to get caught up.

Once five hit, I raced out the door to head to the running store in order to exchange my shoes. The man at the store helped me find a better pair. But, he told me that the half size smaller was probably going to be too small once I started running. Don’t tell me what to do, mister. I know my feet, I said to myself, and proceeded to buy the half size smaller shoes.

Thrilled to finally have a pair of running shoes that fit and to burn off the steam from the day, I headed to the gym. About a half mile in on the treadmill, my feet began to go numb.

My shoes were too small.


I left the gym crying.

God, WHY is this day so terrible?

Everything I had planned for Friday fell apart. Not one thing happened the way I thought it was supposed to. After returning home from the gym, I unpacked my suitcase and went to bed. Good riddance, Friday.

So, here I am today. Saturday morning. Still sitting in bed. Still drinking my coffee. And still no shoes to do my Saturday morning run with.

I may have spoken too quickly and too confidently in my last post about not planning, but hey, God wanted to put what I had said to the test, and He sure did. I wrote my last post and proceeded to over-plan anyway, only to be faced with a sharp dose of reality.

Today, I’ll try once again to get a pair of shoes that fit.

If it’s part of God’s plan, that is, because I’m so over planning.

Posted by

I overcame an eating disorder, anxiety, and depression with the help of this wonderfully amazing thing called running. And that's why I'm here - to share my story and to help those who are going through what I've already gone through. On this blog you'll find running tips, mental health tips, and lots of joy. Join me as we piece life together one run at a time.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s